Foxton, Market Harborough and Return
~ Canal explorer ~
Cruising pace: 5/5
Holiday: weekend getaway
Printer-friendly page here
- Spectacular flight of locks at Foxton
- Waterfront restaurants, cafes, bars
- Husbands Bosworth tunnel
- Heritage museum
At a glance
- 25 miles
- 20 locks
- 4 swing bridges
- 2 tunnels
- No experience necessary
Friday: 3 hours cruising
- Comprehensive boat handling training at North Kilworth marina.
- Cruise through Husbands Bosworth tunnel to the top of Foxton Locks.
- Moor up and walk down the towpath to explore the canal museum and famous Inclined Plane.
- Finish the day with a meal in the bar or restaurant at Foxton Locks Inn (0116 279 1515 to book at busy times).
Saturday: 6.5 hours cruising
- Find the volunteer lock keeper and book your descent through the Foxton locks, checking the lock opening times on www.foxtonlocks.org.uk/boaters. You can buy breakfast rolls and coffee at the top and bottom of the locks.
- Take a right and stop to operate the swing bridge.
- Cruise on through the stunning Leicestershire countryside, operating a road bridge on the way.
- Arrive at Market Harborough and moor up to enjoy lunch at The Waterfront (01858 434702).
- Allow 3 hours to return to the bottom of Foxton Locks, through the road bridge and moor up for the night on the towpath.
Sunday: 6.5 hours cruising
- Cruise through the final swing bridge and into the Basin.
- Find the volunteer lock keeper and book your ascent through the Foxton locks, checking the lock opening times on www.foxtonlocks.org.uk/boaters.
- Enjoy a leisurely cruise through the waterways, navigating back through Husbands Bosworth tunnel.
- Moor up at North Kilworth Marina for the night.
- Enjoy a final breakfast aboard, before vacating the boat by 9.30am.
Please check that your route isn’t affected by any canal closures before you travel, using the following link: