Foxton, Market Harborough and Return
~ Waterside escape ~
Cruising pace: 3/5
Holiday: midweek break
Printer-friendly page here
- Stunning scenery
- Waterside terrace restaurant
- World-famous flight of locks at Foxton
- Lunch at The Gin & Fizz Waterfront bar
At a glance
- 30 miles
- 22 locks
- 4 swing bridges
- 2 tunnels
- Relaxed pace
- Ideal for first-timers
Monday: 3 hours cruising
- Comprehensive boat handling training at North Kilworth marina.
- Cruise south east down the Welford Arm, through a single lock and moor at Welford.
- Enjoy a drink and at The Wharf Inn before turning the boat round in Welford Basin and returning through the lock, back up the Welford Arm.
- At the end, turn right, past North Kilworth marina and find a peaceful towpath spot to moor for the night.
Tuesday: 6 hours cruising
- Cruise through Husbands Bosworth tunnel to the top of Foxton Locks.
- Moor up to enjoy lunch on the towpath, or buy sandwiches and coffee at The Top Lock cafe.
- Find the volunteer lock keeper and book your descent through the Foxton locks.
- Take a right and stop to operate the swing bridge.
- Find a place to moor on the towpath and return to the Basin.
- Explore the canal museum and the famous Inclined Plane, or simply enjoy a few drinks and a meal at The Foxton Inn terrace bar (0116 279 1515 to book at busy times).
Wednesday: 6 hours cruising
- Cruise on through the stunning Leicestershire countryside, operating a road bridge on the way.
- Arrive at Market Harborough and moor up to enjoy coffee or lunch at The Waterfront Gin & Fizz bar(01858 434702).
- Allow 3 hours to return to the bottom of Foxton Locks, through the road bridge and moor up for the night on the towpath.
Thursday: 6 hours cruising
- Cruise through the final swing bridge and into the Basin.
- Find the volunteer lock keeper and book your ascent through the Foxton locks, checking the lock opening times on www.foxtonlocks.org.uk/boaters.
- Enjoy a leisurely cruise through the waterways, navigating back through Husbands Bosworth tunnel.
- Moor up at North Kilworth Marina for the night.
- Enjoy a final breakfast aboard, before vacating the boat by 9.30am.
Please check that your route isn’t affected by any canal closures before you travel, using the following link: